Sunday, February 11, 2007

 

Something to Prove

 

Well, folks, it's winter alright.  The hands are dry, the cars are crusted with salt, the lips are chapped, and the second round of credit card bills is soon to arrive from the holiday season.

Around this time last year I would generally stay indoors on cold weekends like this, content to medicate myself with bad cable TV and venturing outdoors only for emergency portions of Harold's Fried Chicken.

But not this year.  These days I have something to prove.  (Prove what?  To whom?  Why?  I dunno.)  And prove it I shall, if for no other reason than that there never seems to be anything good on TV.

As my irregular readers (Yes, you!  You are irregular.) know I am on a quest to exercise every day for 45 days leading up the Shamrock "drink flat beer in the cold" Shuffle, and I am pleased to report that so far I have been keeping my promise.

Here's what I accomplished today..

Distance:  2.5 miles
Time:  25:07
Pace:  10:03/mile

I know that's not much, but my humble self is still getting re-acclimated to running outdoors.  So I am building up distance very slowly.

Here's a satellite map of today's route:

St. Boniface Cemetery is a great place to warm up the muscles that first mile, and the funny tombstones make for a good distraction.  Also featured on this route is Chase Park, where I hope to do speed work someday if/when the snow ever melts.

Tomorrow I'll hit the gym with Denise, who is currently 20 miles away taking the Elk Grove police exam.  Wish her luck everybody!

And best of luck to all of you intrepid runners out there!  Keep it going!




Comments:
Thank you, sweetie! It did not go so well. Oh pooh!
 
You are brave - I don't do cold!
 
very brave!! Congrats on your run.
 
I also like running in our local "rural" cemetery. It is a good distraction.

Good luck Denice!
 
Is it safe? I am in Memphis and thought about it, but was told it probably wouldn't be the safest place. I did run through one this am and almost got hit by a car..
 
Yes, my local cemetary is safe -- at least from the living.

Memphis, on the other hand, is less safe than Bagdhad.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?