Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

Secrets and Myths

 





Today's post begin's with a word about secrets, specifically your secrets.

Due to recent requests as well as the current "big brother" situation in the world today (Dick Cheney actively reads my blog) I have decided to institute a privacy policy for Full Metal Lunchbox (my blog), Pugpaw.com (my site), and all other places where I post information.

Here it is:




Privacy Policy


1. I wont mention your last name unless you are on TV and even then only if it's a show I hate. (For example, I won't keep secrets for Keither Sutherland.)
2. Upon request, I wont mention your first name either, but only if you supply me with a nickname by which I can refer to you.
3. I've booked a guest suite in Dick Cheney's secret mountain. Anyone care to join me?


It will take me a month or so to completely comb through my blog, site, online photo and movie accounts, MySpace etc. to make sure that your private information is removed. Please be patient. If come February 2007 you see something with your name on it on any of my sites that shouldn't be there please let me know.

Speaking of secrets, I'm not going to reveal the name of the dear friend who sent me the e-mail about the PIN number reversal myth, for I have no desire to cause embarassment to anyone I care about. But that e-mail did get me thinking about Internet myths. You know what I'm talking about right? These plausable faulsehoods seem to have a life of their own. For example, to this very day I still sometimes get e-mails from well-meaning loved ones telling me that Bill Gates will give me $100 if I send him a letter.

So, as a service to the public, I present to you top 25 Internet Urban Legends, courtesy of Snopes.com



Top 25 Internet Urban Legends



 
  ATM Reverse PIN Panic Code

E-mail claims that entering one's PIN in reverse at any ATM will summon the police.
 

 Invitation Virus

E-mail warns about Invitation (or Olympic Torch) computer virus.
 

 UPS Uniform Warning

E-mail warns that terrorists have acquired UPS uniforms.
 

 Osama bin Laden Virus

E-mailed computer virus claims Osama bin Laden has been captured or hanged.
 

 Ashley Flores

Missing child alert: Ashley Flores.
 

 Cell Phone Directory and Telemarketers

E-mail claims users must sign up with the national Do Not Call list to prevent telemarketers from calling their cell phones.
 

 Applebee's Gift Certificates

E-mail claims Applebee's restaurants are giving away free gift certificates.
 

 Life Is Beautiful

Warning about the "Life Is Beautiful" PowerPoint-based computer virus.
 

 Bill Gates / Microsoft / AOL Giveaway

E-mail claims Bill Gates, Microsoft and AOL are giving away cash and merchandise to those who forward an e-mail message.
 

 Target Stores

E-mail claims Target stores do not support veterans.
 

 Slow Dance / Amy Bruce

Amy Bruce, a terminally ill young girl, writes "Slow Dance" poem.
 

 Ben Stein's Confessions for the Holidays

Actor/writer Ben Stein's commentary on the observance of Christmas.
 

 Starbucks

E-mail claims Starbucks refused to send free coffee to G.I.s serving in Iraq.
 

 Carjacking

E-mail describes parking lot carjackers who place flyers on cars' rear windows.
 

 Gift Card Scam

E-mail warns about scammers' stealing value from gift cards.
 

 Citgo Buycott / Boycott

E-mails urge Americans to buy/not buy gasoline from Citgo or Petro Express stations.
 

 Social Security Petition

E-mail petition advocates denying U.S. social services to non-citizens.
 

 Fantastic Machine

Video clip shows music-playing "farm machine" built at the University of Iowa.
 

 Zicam

E-mail describes consumer's experiencing a loss of smell after using Zicam brand cold remedy.
 

 Excise Tax Credit

Special one-time federal excise tax credit rebates tax overpayment on phone bills.
 

 Let's Say Thanks

The Xerox web site LetsSayThanks.com allows the public to send free personalized postcards to U.S. troops serving overseas.
 

 Lead in Lipstick

E-mail warns that several major brands of lipstick contain dangerous levels of lead.
 

 Jury Duty Scam

E-mail warns about jury duty phone scam perpetrated by identity thieves.
 

 Andy Rooney

E-mail offers transcript of 60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney's explaining his political views.
 

 Andrea Montoya

Missing child: Andrea Montoya
 






I hope all this has been helpful.

And to the many of you who continue to flood my in-box with urban legends, don't worry.  Your secret is safe with me.




Comments:
That's SO awesome that you care about your friend that you are willing to protect their identities.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?