Friday, September 08, 2006

 

What's your marathon goal?

 
Greetings, fellow runners!  How is your training going?

My patellar tendonitis continues to get better, and my doctor's appointment yesterday went well.  I plan to undertake physical therapy as soon as I work out the details with my HMO.

It's been nearly two weeks since I've run, but I'm going to try to do a slow couple of miles this weekend and then gradually build up from there.


My goal remains to run the Marathon faster than Oprah Winfrey, who clocked 4:29:20 in 1994.

Yes, I know this is my first marathon, and yes, my knee is potato salad, and yes, Oprah no doubt had excellent trainers.

But I'm sticking with my goal.  I guess I'm stubborn that way.



So, I'd like to ask a question of my readers who are training for a marathon this year:

What is your personal time goal?  And what led you to pick this time?



While you are thinking about that, here are some other marathon finish times:




Khalid Khannouchi, winner of the 1999 Chicago Marathon in World Record time (2:05:42)









Paula Radcliffe, women's marathon world record holder (2:15:25)









Ed Whitlock, First Man over 70 Years of Age to Break the 3:00 Barrier (2:59:10)










Billy Baldwin (3:24:29)









John Edwards, 2004 Vice Presidential Candidate (3:30:18)









Michael Dukakis, Former Massachusetts Govenor and Presidential Candidate (3:31:00)






President George W. Bush (3:44:52)








Will Ferrell (3:56:12)









Sean "P Diddy" Combs (4:14:54)









Al Gore (4:58:25)









David Lee Roth (6:04:43)









Lloyd Scott, slowest world record (148:30:56)







So, what's your goal?




Comments:
Oprah probably ran with body guards and without the masses. She didn't wait 15 minutes for the potty!! Add 15 minutes to her time..

Slow & Steady wins the race.
 
Josh, if it helps at all, you're in good company - I'm supposed to be doinng a 20 mile training run tomorrow, but am currently on 48 hours bed rest due to a sinus/respiratory infection.

Still determined to get a sub-4:00 finish at Chicago, though...
 
I am determined to BEAT my 1st marathon time of 6:37. I am hoping for a time between 4:45 to 5:15 as a finish time. I have only started my marathon training so who knows how it will go. I just take it day by day.
 
I would like to beat Oprah's time too but I'm aiming for 4:30 but as long as I'm under 5 I'll be happy.
 
If you wear Will Ferrell's Elf costume for the marathon, I could care less what your time is...lol
 
I hope you recover soon so you don't have to crawl across the finish line. Although crawling across the finish line wearing an elf costume and an Al Gore mask might be amusing....
 
At this point, I'll be lucky if I can beat David Lee Roth's time.
 
Ah, but if you're competing against Diamond Dave's time, then you get 6 huge lines of coke at the starting line...
 
How the hell did I miss this post?

Here are my goals...er...well...race plans...

Plan A, the marathon gods smile upon me) Sub-5:30

Plan B) Just keep it in the Sub-6:00 range...and if my foot continues to be a problem for me, this will likely be the plan.

Plan C, this is a super sucky race plan) Just finish...even if it is one second faster than Phoenix.

Plan D, to hell with the plans just finish even if it's on all fours) Crossing the finishline without a bodybag.
 
Jayhawk's plan is the most realistic I've heard yet.

I'll be there on all fours with you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?