Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 

Stolen Bike, Shopping Therapy

 
My bike was stolen from outside my work yesterday.





It was good bike, one that I had only owned for less than three years.  It had been a gift from my father.

But rather than mope home and feel sorry for myself, I decided to administer a course of shopping therapy.  The theory is that when life gives you lemons, go out and buy lots of super-expensive lemon-themed accessories.  Works for me.

My first stop was a used clothing store.  The Lincoln Park location of this particular shop allows one to buy lots of fancy garments at wino prices.  And because these kind of stores are mostly frequented by women, the men's section is never picked clean and always has a great selection.  That's why I'm not going to tell my male readers exactly which store I'm talking about.  My secret.

Stop #2 was Best Buy to purchase the D-Link DSM-520 Media Lounge wireless media player.  Nothing makes this geek boy forget a stolen bicycle like a new geek toy.

Unlike my previous purchase of a similar device from Buffalo Tech (the official crappy electronics provider of the Communist Party), I am pleased to report that media player offering from D-Link actually works!  After only 20 minutes of setup I was on my sofa with a glass of whiskey and a sleeping pug dog listening to Miles Davis broadcast from my computer to my stereo (with album info appearing on my television).  It's going to be nice never having to burn CD's or DVD's again.

But electronics alone wasn't enough to make everything right.  Being the reckless speed demon I am, I still needed a bike.

Highly recommended among bicyclists and geeks and bike geeks is A Nearly New Shop on Broadway.  Here is a photo of my new bike being prepared.  It's an old Schwin completely rebuilt.  It performs terrific.  I can't say enough good things about this wonderful store and it's very friendly proprietors; so friendly, in fact, that it took me nearly two hours to get out of there.

By the time I got home it was too late to go running.  But it was still a great day, dispite the loss of my old bike.

To anyone else who experiences a loss, I recommend shopping therapy.  Works for me.




Comments:
Shopping is always good! :)
 
Woo, I see you discovered the clothing place I discovered. Let us get drunk together, and then let us go clothes shopping!

Sorry about the bike. SUCKAGE
 
But your new bike is very very nice, I bet.
 
you next posting should be a support group for shoppers
 
Glad shopping worked for you.
 
Sorry to hear about the bike, but at least you got some good stuff out of it.
 
Oh my gosh, josh...I completely missed this post last week!!! I am so sorry about the bike being stolen. People suck sometimes.

Shopping was definitely the perfect therapy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?