Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Josh's Brush With Death and Apartment Rental

 
This is an expanded version of a post I started on Sunday morning, but was not able to finish.  Appologies to anyone whose comments got deleted.



Well, it's Monday morning and I think I'm finaly ready to blog about this past weekend.  I tried typing something yesterday morning, but was too weak to finish a paragraph.

The weekend started out with every indication of being a fun time.  I started my Saturday morning with a bike ride up to Lakeview to drink bloody marys with my good friend Jeanne.  While we were hanging out at the Avenue Tavern I got a phone call from my future landlord, telling me that he had made a mistake and already rented out the apartment he promised me.

To say I was angry, as tomato juice vodka and horseradish shot out through my nose, would be an understatement.  I felt ready to flip up the table and rampage through the bar, destroying everything.  

(The Avenue is just the kind of bar just waiting for someone to rampage through.)
  

But I kept my cool through the rest of the conversation while I considered:


Not knowing what else to do, I had another drink.  I resisted the urge to have a third, but I was already flying because I drank that first bloody mary on an empty stomach.

After finishing my second drink and lousy buffalo chicken sandwich (Avenue is only good at one thing: bloody marys) I raced back to Jeanne's house and called Apt. Finders, begging and pleading with them on the phone to sneak me in.  The guy on the phone finaly relented and sympatheticly gave me an appointment slot for 30 minutes later.



Halfway between Jeanne's house and Apt. Finders was DSW shoes.  Jeanne had been teasing me about the shoes I was wearing that day, so I went into the store and walked out 6 minutes later with a nice, expensive pair of sandals.  

Angry, drunken shoe shopping is fun.







Apartment Finders was a sad experience.  They even took me to the same Rogers Park craphole with the broken windows that Apartment People had shown me.






Later that day, I came down with the stomach flu.

I started feeling the effects shortly before Justyna and I sat down at Hamburger Mary's, a joint I can only categorize as "gay hillbilly."  The slowest table service I've ever experienced in the United States could only come at a moment when I was increasingly unable to tolerate the very idea of food, or people, or anything at all.



I got home that evening and spent all night in a painful, cold sweat.  The 10' distance to the bathroom always seemed too far, as it was difficult to remain conscious for the entire journey.  I ate nothing that night, or the next morning.

I woke up on Sunday and briefly entertained the idea of going through with my weekly long run.  The very act of getting out of bed convinced me that wasn't going to happen.  But I was still determined to leave the house that morning; I could at least help Justyna with her apartment and perhaps even find one of my own.

I got to Justyna's new place but ended up being of very little assistance.  Every effort I made to be helpful was followed by at least an hour sitting down catching my breath.  



The only major contribution I made to Justyna's housekeeping was to help her rescue a baby bird that had fallen from it's nest.



Later that afternoon I spoke on the phone with the same landlord who had given away the 1BR he promised me.  He had wanted me to come by and look at a studio that day, but I wanted to put him off for a day while I still tried to find a a bigger place elsewhere.  So I told him I had the stomach flu.  His response was, "Oh, yeah, I had that last week, it was awful."

So, this dude not only gave away my apartment, he also gave me the stomach flu!

I would kill him, but I can't because he's probably going to be my landlord.  I'm almost certainly going to rent that studio after all.  It's a great building in a great location, and it wont hurt to save money.

So that's where we leave things.  I'm way behind in my running, I'm getting over the stomach flu, and I'm probably moving into a studio.

Unless anything else goes wrong.




Comments:
Drunk Shoe Shopping!?!? :)

And I wasn't invited?

And yes, you can still get me your tunes. No problem!
 
you could have at least taken a picture of the sandals.. I am proud of your purchase. It beats the wool socks and dress shoes that you were wearing with shorts!! You are turning into a northsider..
 
Aw, poor Josh! Taken to a Rogers Park craphole..twice...apartment rented away to some loser...and stomach flu as well. I am sorry. That is indeed a sucky weekend.

random and I hope you are feeling better.

I want to go drunken shoe shopping with you when you are feeling better. I love to shop for shoe, and I like to be drunk (sometimes) (and random says I am the most appropos person to say that), so yes, we must go drunken shoe shopping together someday.

Get well soon.
 
ha ha, shoes even. not drunk, just typing too fast.
 
WTF... what was his explanation for rentin' out your pad? "Duh... I forgot I promised it someone else." Sounds like a load of crap. Hope you feel better.
 
Yeah, Ryan, it was a load of crap.  And not just my lease situation.  But anyway..

I signed my lease today on the studio.  It's even smaller than I remember, but I got the landlord to give me two weeks free plus a guarantee written into my lease that I get the first top floor 1BR that comes available.

I'll be moving this weekend.
 
Unfortunately, it's too late to make the bastard give you the 1 bed at the studio price. He unduly busted a contract and that's grounds for a civil case, so he should be counting his lucky stars. Hell, you may still have some leverage.
 
Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you can give your new landlord the flu back and call things even.
 
Is that allowed, drunken shoe shopping? God...that would be a HORRIBLY bad idea for me! How can one NOT like Hamburger Mary's? :-)
 
Wow, quite a weekend you had. Hope the moving goes well.

And, come October you'll have an even better first marathon story to tell.
 
He was wearing wool socks and black dress shoes with shorts. It was really bad...
 
Wool socks...black shoes...shorts...shaved head...I call it 'character'
 
hey josh! I'm sorry you've had such a crappy time finding an apartment...AND getting stomach flu on top of all that is way not fun. Glad you founda place though. I loved living in a studio a couple years ago. Forces you to have less stuff :-)
 
Man Josh that is a hell of a weekend. Nothing burns like bad news on a belly full of Bloody Marys. When I got your email about the apartment this week, I had not read you blog so I did not know the back story. Way to keep a good spirit about the crappy situation.
 
apartment finders is the worst. that dude is the only one there. his office is a table chair printer and computer. dont ever recommend them
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?