Monday, July 31, 2006

 

Holy Shit, 12 Weeks to the Marathon

 

Only 12 weeks to go before the marathon.

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!

And I am nowhere near ready.

I'm getting better, more disciplined, but I'm still not making all of my miles each week.  I've got to seriously start putting foot to pavement, heat or not.

Look for me for me to be sweating (and perhaps limping) a bit more in the weeks ahead.




In other news...

Manh Le surprised me yesterday by stopping by with his friend Daniel and inviting me out to New Chinatown, conviently located just a few blocks from me.  I'm hoping this begins a pattern of all my asian friends coming around to teach me about all the wonderful food in my area.

Here I am enjoying a pork chop over rice.  It was the best rice plate I've had in the U.S., bar none!

The only downside to Manh's surprise invitation was that I had been looking forward to cooking dinner that night.  In my two weeks on Argyle Street I have not yet prepared a meal in my own kitchen.  This situation is partially due to my own laziness and partially to inexpensive and delicious local offerings, such as Ba Le Sandwich Shop, Pho Hoa (and many, many similar noodle joints), and Sun Wah (the most amazing pork in the known universe).  The local joke on my block is that it's often much cheaper to eat out in my neighborhood than to cook one's own food.

Fortunately I have discovered the Broadway Supermarket, one of Argyle/Broadway's best kept secrets.  Hidden next to an overpriced laundromat and a bad pizza place, this gigantic asian grocery store sells every sauce, vegetable, or cooking implement you could possibly need.  I walked out of there with a basket full of groceries and a set of knives for around $50.  Gotta love 90 cent tofu.

So tonight I will be cooking my own dinner.

Then I'm going out for a run.




Comments:
Sounds like a neighborhood Lora and I have to check out. Maybe after our Saturday lakefront run will hit that market.

And I must say, you are a master of the self-pics.
 
It's all a matter of being steady of cameraphone hand and self-indulgent of character.
 
I am so coming to live with you so that I can eat at these wonderful places on a regular basis. I can sleep in a corner someplace, no worries!
 
People need to stop posting about how much longer until the marathon...

YOU'RE FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!

Okay...it felt good to get that out.
 
Broadway Supermarket is my fave - it's the one in the corner of the L shaped strip mall, no? The BEST.
 
i have to agree with barb. i am flippin terrified. i can't believe it's so soon...but you know that means that these STUPID temperatures should also me dropping soon!
 
No need to panic. You will be fine.
 
Wow! Your neighborhood sound awesome and YUMMY!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?