Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

Josh's "I Feel Fat" workout

 
Yesterday was the kickoff workout to my 18 week training period for the Chicago Marathon.  Here we go!  (cue fanfare)

My plan is to train hard, live right, and generally take care of myself straight through to October 22.  After that, I can watch TV and eat Ho-Ho's.

Unfortunately, not every good plan works out right from the start.

You see, for reasons buried deep in my psyche I chose to overeat at lunch yesterday, and then go right to bed.  Not the best prelude to my first run in nearly a week; I woke up feeling fat.

Fortunately, last night's run was with Jay, so anything less than a full workout would have let us both down.  So I puttered along, starting at a slow pace while the pork chop bounced around my stomach.

In the end, I managed 5.8 miles at a 9:46/mile pace, though I did sweat a bit more than usual.

Lesson learned.

Today my mom is taking me to Fleet Feet for a gait analysis and some training shoes.  Thanks, mom!  She's also taking me out to lunch, where I plan on having a salad or something like that.




Comments:
Isn't the real point of running being able to eat whatever you want?

Good luck the next 18 weeks. It should be a fun ride.
 
oooh gotta love mom taking you to fleet feet. have fun!

don't worry about the lunch...wait till you are in midst of the training, you won't be able to eat enough to ever feel full.
 
Jason: I didn't mention in my post that we went to Twisted Spoke afterwards for our usual buffalo chicken sandwiches and beer. Yum!

Leah: When I'm ready to run the kind of workouts you two do, I'll probably eat an entire buffalo.
 
Great job, Jason! And have fun with your mum at Fleet Feet. I love that place.
 
I can picture a cartoon-like xray showing a bouncing pork chop as you run....ok, I'm an odd sort
 
That's excactly what it felt like.
 
At least your learning! And, what a great mom
 
She ended up buying me all sorts of gear, including a new running outfit, my first tube of "Body Glide," and one of those bars to run across my calf muscles.

Then I ate a giant salad with hoisin chicken.
 
Good luck on the next 18 weeks. Beer=carb loading
 
If that's the case, I should be fueled up for the rest of the summer, thanks to this past weekend.

(See my next post.)
 
Amen to those Ho-Ho's!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?