Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Busy Weekend

 
This was a busy weekend...



Thursday night I went with Jay to the Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana.

My objective was the purchase of Arrogant Bastard, a terrific beer not available in Chicago.  I was pleased to acquire several bottles.


We then drove to nearby Three Floyds Brewery for dinner and drinks in their brewpub.  Great food and beer in a bizarre, out-of-the-way location.



Friday night Shea came to town and we ran four miles at a 8:30/mile pace, which for me was a new short-distance PR.

After a shower and a beer on the back porch I went to Delilah's with Justyna, Shea, Michelle and Sarah.  There was much enjoyment of whiskey, Strongbow, and (especially) Manhattans.  We closed the place down, and I even shot a decent game of pool for once.

(I have a funny video of some drunken antics in the back of my car, but to protect the innocent I'm not going to post it.)


Saturday I went with Justyna and Shea to the Intonation Music Festival.  The weather was perfect.  For two days we sat out on the grass and heard some great bands, including Chromeo, Lady Sovereign, Roky Erickson (a very rare performance), The Stills, Dead Prez ("DPZ"), The Streets, and Bloc Party.


Here's a picture of us waiting for Lady Sovereign to come on stage.  She gave one of the best performances of the weekend.

I got to experience a few great bands that I had never heard of, such as the Boredoms (a "Japanoise" group).  I also liked either Robert Pollard or Jon Brion, though now I can't remember which.

On Sunday morning, before heading back to Intonation, I went on my first official marathon training long run.  I've decided to train at a 9:30/mile pace.  My new pace group is, unfortunately, a bit boring -- it was tough getting these people to socialize.  Hopefully these people will open up a bit once we start going longer distances.  I miss my old group!  But they are training at a slower speed on a different day.

Monday I called in sick.  It just had to be.

Tuesday night, instead of meeting with my Gumballhead running group, I went out on my own and ran 3.3 miles in 28 minutes.  Perhaps 8:30/mile will be my new short-distance pace.  Gosh, can you just imagine how smug I would be if I could run the marathon at that speed?

OK, back to reality now.  Have a good week, everybody.  Keep on running!




Comments:
Pics are great! Always helps to keep me interested in blog posts! :-)
 
Buddy of mine was at Intonation and said it was great also. I did the Black Crowes/Robert Randolph/Drive By Truckers gig out on Northerly Island. Good show and good venue...first time there.

I've always heard 9:30 people had attitudes anyway...nice work on the 8:30 pace
 
If you can do an 8:30 paced marathon you will seriously be my hero. And I will be officially jealous of your madd running SKILLZ. :)

You rock. Great job on the new short-distance PR. Love the pics, too! I wish I had been able to make it to that festival. :sigh:

(Have you heard of this lil' indie band called Self?)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?