Wednesday, May 24, 2006

 

Introducing the Garmin Forerunner 205

 
So it might just happen that I needed a little cheering up today.  Fortunately I have a new toy to play with, my Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS trainer!

I'm not normally prone to such expensive impulse purchases.  But I figured with me taking running seriously these days this would be a good investment.  (Or at least that's the rastionalization I told myself.)

I still haven't had a chance to run with my 205, yet.  But I did get to test it out this afternoon riding my bike home from work during a rainstorm.



Here is a map of the route I took, as calculated by GPS.







Here is a graph showing my pace throughout the ride.





Here is a chart summarizing the entire recording period of my journey.



I wholeheartedly recommend the Garmin Forerunner 205 to anyone serious about training to long runs, or to anyone like me who can't calculate a steady pace without outside assistance.



--
UPDATE:  OK, is it just my imagination, or is *everyone* I know buying a Garmin Forerunner at exactly the same time?





Comments:
Rock on - I just got the Forerunner 301, and I'm thrilled with it thus far...
 
Shea, I think we both have Forerunner models with the "virtual partner" feature.  If you tell me your average pace for 4-8 mile distances I can program it into my Garmin and "virtually" run with you.  (My average pace at that distance is 10:00.)
 
that's so fun! how did you get that little map? I can get just the yellow dots, but didn't see how to put them onto a map. I feel sorry for those of whom are garminless.
 
At the rate everyone I know seems to be buying the Forerunner, I doubt anyone will be Garminless soon enough.

I was confused by the map feature at first until I realized that the maps generated by the software are not very detailed.  To see cross-streets, you have to zoom out.
 
I am toatally an impulse buyer, have fun with the new toy and I like the name of your site.
 
Josh -

I've done one serious run since I got the Garmin, which was 7.3 miles...average pace of 08:37, running with the leg injury that I blogged.
 
Shea, you average 8:37?!

I hate you.
 
It's worse than you think - my goal for Northshore is <8:05/mile
 
Wow.

Be sure to pack your drag chute!
 
cool watch, I am very jealous. Can't wait to run with you again. Keep a pace that is comfortable to you, don't kill yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. Your other mother...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?