Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

Diet Makes the Difference

 
Got to go running with Shea for the first time when him and Kathleen came to visit last Friday.  Unfortunately, recent poor eating habits over the previous week had been degrading my running performance, and by Friday I was barely able to cover 2 1/2 miles without gasping for breath.  A change needed to be made.

So over the past few days I have been extremely careful about what I eat; for example, taking in only limited servings of meat, drinking lots of water around the clock, and consuming more fruits and vegetables.  I crave cheeseburgers and pizza and Harold's Chicken, but I just can't eat them anymore.  I try to have a LĂ„RABAR when I get the munchies at work.

Last night I went for a 5 1/2 mile run with my JP Morgan CIS Project Running Club.  It was my first time out on the path since last Friday's disaster, and the difference was amazing: my warmup was faster, my breathing easier, and my muscles felt terrific.  Had my running pals been up for it, I could have gone much farther.

Lessons learned:

1) Cheeseburgers are for backyard barbeques only
2) Even one tiny piece of pizza 8+ hours before a run is still not permitted
3) Don't eat any crap in general within 24 hours of any 2+ mile run

I rewarded my newfound discipline last night with a buffalo chicken sandwich from Twisted Spoke and a glass of Stella.  Should be able to digest that in time for tonight's run.

Coming Up...

Tonight: 7 miles with my Wednesday night 10:00 pace group
Saturday: 12 miles (my farthest yet) with CARA. I will again run at 10:00 pace.
Next Thursday: JP Morgan Corporate Challenge 5K
June 11: Northshore Half Marathon (my first long distance race)
October 22: Fatty fish dinner with Shea after Chicago Marathon (if I live)


---
UPDATE:  Lightning and freak hailstorm prevented me from meeting up with my running group, but after the clouds parted I did manage 8 miles along the lakefront by myself.  The sky was pretty and there was even a spectacular rainbow.




Comments:
Cheeseburgers are for backyard barbeques only

You should not say such things...it makes me sad.
 
i have to agree with jason on the cheeseburgers. nice job though having a spectacular turnaround after a crappy run only a week before.
 
In all honesty, after mile 8 last night I was very tempted by the new gyros place on my block (which unfortunately isn't open yet).

I must admit that gyros is basicly the same as hamburger, only with lamb by-products instead of cow by-products.
 
Great job, I am proud of you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?