Monday, May 01, 2006

 

Day Without Immigrants

 

Today in Chicago and across the USA immigrants will be rallying for their rights.  The main purpose of the rally is a show of strength, but also to draw attention to the importance of immigrants in our culture.  Many people will be skipping work or school to pose the question, "What would America be like without immigrants?"

From personal experience I can answer that question very easily.

A great many people I've been close to over the years are recent immigrants to this country.  Nowhere is this more evident than at my current job with the Remittance Technology department at JP Morgan.  Of my six colleagues on site, all are first generation immigrants.  Out on the production floor we support, a large minority of the workers are also recent immigrants.  I couldn't imagine this place without them.

I take the current atmosphere of immigrant bashing very personally and I plan to add my voice to today's rally as soon as I get off work this morning.

tags: , , , , ,




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?