Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

Bike the Drive and the Road Ahead

 

Bike the Drive was a lot of fun this year.  I rode 42 miles in 3 hours, burning approximately 2100 calories and eating about 1500 calories worth of muffins.  The event was made more fun by the accompaniment of Shea, Dana, and Jay--all three of whom did terrific!






Shea rode the entire circuit twice totaling 60 miles!









Dana was completely immune to wind resistence.









Jay brought wonderful beer to my apartment after the event.






My focus now is on the Northshore Half Marathon, my first half marathon.  I plan on getting in a couple more long runs before I taper back in the days leading up to the race.

By the way, since I know there are some experienced runners who read my blog, I'm wondering if any of you have advice to offer on:

Any suggestions my faithful readers could leave in the comments section would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.




Comments:
For shin splints:

fill dixie cups with water and freeze them, then use them to ice massage the shin area. just rub them up and down your legs until all the ice is gone. better than a bag of ice because you can really focus in on the pain. This has really helped me with my frequent shin problems.

For hydrating...lots of water fountains on the lake front path. Then you can take with you Gu, Clif Bloks or sports beans. Also in the summer (at least last year) Fleet Feet was out on the lakefront path sat&sun morning with gatorade stops (for free!)
 
I'd also recommend the wonderful world of ice baths (after your neighbors get used to you screaming when you hop in). Ice baths have been a godsend for me, especially on weekends when I've got back to back long workouts.

Re: nutrition/hydration - I'm picky about products I use for nutrition during events/long training (as you know), so I'm often carrying product with me. I'd give that fuel belt you bought a try, see what you think...
 
I hear a vinegar compress can be good(??). But what do I know, I've been reading all this homeopathic hippy crap trying to stay healthy since I try to avoid doctors like the plague.
 
All great advice, thanks everyone.

Turns out my concerns were overblown.  When it comes to my shin splints, it seems the more I run the less they hurt.  I rarely seem to feel any pain after 5 miles.  As for hydration, thank goodness for convenience stores.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?