Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Where to Run Today?

 

People of these United States, I know that many of you are still nurturing lingering resentment that your vote in the last couple of presidential elections didn't really count.

But rest assured, here at pugpaw.com your opinion still matters!

Today I need to run 4 miles, which is never fun on a Monday when I am tired and cranky.  To make things more interesting, I've been trying to plan an interesting route.

But which way to go?

Here are the choices...

Option 1: Home to South Chicago

This route would take me east to Rainbow Beach and then south along the site of the old South Chicago steel mill.  The final portion of my run would take me through the Buffalo Street corridor, a little corner of Chicago that even the street gangs don't know about.  My final destination would be the 95th Street Metra station at the end of the South Chicago Line, where I would catch a train home.  If time permits, I can eat a torta.

Highlights: Buffalo Avenue

Nuisances: Buffalo Avenue

Distance: 4.01 miles

Option 2: Home to Chatham Ridge

This route would take me west to the ghetto Ballys.

Highlights: chance to do needed situps at Ballys

Nuisances: busy streets, boring scenery

Distance: 4.37 miles


Which route should I take today?

Cast your vote by leaving a comment.

(Note that I didn't include a lakefront path route because I am running that tomorrow.)

tags: , , ,




Comments:
torta route! torta route! al pastor torta!
 
the ghetto!!! It should make it very interesting.
 
Go for option 1, and do the situps at home!
 
I think you should run downtown. 2 miles up and then 2 back. Else go with 1.
 
Thanks for the quick response, everybody!

Erika, down here all routes are ghetto.

Shea, your new Blogger photo looks so pimp!
 
I like the first option! i love the idea of taking the train back.
 
Well, the people have spoken.  Hobie, Shea, Justyna, Leah, and possibly Erika all agreed on option 1: the run to South Chicago.  Only Jeanne chose "none of the above," and no one voted for option #2 (except possibly Erika).

Thanks to everyone who voted.

I just got back from my run and it was a good time.  Probably wasn't my smartest move running into the wind, but I still managed 4 miles in 37 minutes (9:15 pace) without getting too tired.

My route took me around the old steel mill and from one end of South Chicago to the other.  the skyway bridge to Indiana was in sight, and I plan on making a run to the border as soon as I'm ready to do a six miler.  (Here is the route I would take.)  Terrific urban scenery.

I even made it to the train station with enough time to grab a taco al pastor to go.
 
Damnit, I missed the voting! Teach me to actually work when I get into the lab.

(I would have voted for option 1, because of the torta option.)
 
It's about time my vote counted for something.
 
Hobie, it's because of you that I got my taco al pastor.  Otherwise I would have gone with beef or chorizo.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?