Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

Taking the Plunge

 


I've taken the plunge and signed up for the Chicago Marathon.  It was a spontaneous decision and it cost me $90.

I had been hesitating with signup due to lingering concerns about work and my generally being a wimpy chickensh*t.  But I figure these are obstacles that can be overcome, and with only a slight risk of injury.

To train for this event I will be running upwards of 30-40 miles per week, with my higher mileage starting in July.  This means that I will be very busy this summer (on top of whatever work throws at me) so I hope that you all will forgive me if I'm not a lot of fun on Saturday nights.

My motivation is the need to accomplish something truly meaningful before my 40th birthday.  This year's Chicago Marathon is on October 22, two days shy of my 38th birthday.  My ultimate goal is to run in Boston before I turn 40.

Yeah, I know I'm nuts.  But I figure I might as well plan ahead for my eventual midlife crisis.

Wish me luck.

(And forgive me if I pass out on your sofa.  Especially you, Jeanne.)

P.S.  Today promises to be my best 5 mile run yet.  I'll be covering the Jackson Park back trail (by the Japanese garden) and then running west up the Midway Plaissance, north through Washington Park, and finaly east on 57th to Medici.  Here is the route I plan to take.  Anyone in the Hyde Park vicinity around 3PM today is invited to join me for a pizza.

tags: , ,




Comments:
YEEEEE HAW!!!

Congratulations! (I think you might be my new hero.)

Good luck and happy training! We are anxiously awaiting training stories and race-day photos.
 
WHEEE! Good for you for signing up!!! We'll see you there!
 
Jeez, man. That's pretty cool. Heck, if I'm financially alive in October, I'll see if I can't arrange a trip up there to witness this event.
 
That would be great, Hobie.

I plan on making a trip down to ATL to visit you sometime next winter.
 
You are now my running idol. If I'm not in Texas that weekend, I'll be in Chicago to cheer you on!
 
Shea, run with me in Boston in 2008.

If I can be ready by then surely you can, too.
 
Wow! Just wanted to say I think you are awesome. Gambarre yo!
 
Good decision!! Just go step by step, you have time to prepare the race!!

Good luck!! And tell us how your training go.
 
Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!

See you at the finish line.

(I'll be buying everyone bloody marys.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?