Friday, March 31, 2006

 

Busy Summer

 

Whatever the calendar might say, my summer began at 2:23AM this morning when I hopped on my bicycle and pedaled to work for the first time this year.  

It was a spectacular night for a first ride.  The streetlights were off for much of the south side bike path, so I rode in darkness with my way illuminated by the distant glow of the downtown skyline ahead of me.  The wind pushed up behind me at a gusty 30mph to the point where I kept upshifting to keep up with the tailwind until I ran out of gears!  Then the gusts would change direction without warning, and a couple of times I was almost thrown into the lake.

Soundtrack: "Louder Than Love" by Soundgarden
Highlight: Riding in the pouring rain under the Van Buren Street elevated tracks, a guy came out of the 7-11 and yelled out to me, "You crazy, man, you crazy!"


I'm really going to try to make an effort to ride my bike to work at least four times a week.  I need to get my bike muscles in shape for "Bike-the-Drive" and for what is likely to be several bicycling pub crawls with crazy Jay.

Goals for Bike-the-Drive:
  1. Keep up with Shea for at least the first ten miles
  2. Eat as many free candy bars as possible

Goal for bicycling pub crawls:  Avoid getting hit by Manh Le's car.

In addition to bicycling (along with the accompanying alcohol and candy bars) there is going to be a lot to keep me busy this summer.

Here's what's going on:


There will come a point, likely some Saturday night in July or August, when I am no longer so busy.  When that day comes, I hope that all of you will feel welcome joining me for whiskey on the back porch.

Until then, if you see me at all it will be either at the other end of an e-mail or passed out on your sofa.





Note: A special shout out to my co-worker Jay who just signed up for CARA's 10K training program!  Jay's goal is to lose 3 pounds while managing his current level of beer consumption.  Jay is going to make a great runner.  Let's all wish him luck!




tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,




Comments:
Noooooo, please don't pack up and leave town!
 
I think that "within one mile of the red line" assures that he will be staying in Chicago! They haven't yet expanded the CTA to Champaign-Urbana. Heck, it doesn't even get to Niles or Naperville.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?