Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

Fun with Amazon Wish Lists

 

As my good friends are aware, I have a little bit of an obsession with Amazon.com wish lists.

To the uninitiated, let explain that Amazon.com has for the past decade offered a feature that allows you to track the gift desires of participating friends and loved ones.  Other online retailers offer this feature, but Amazon's is arguably the best because their online catalog includes not just their own stock but also links to products from other stores.  To the individual wish list compiler, this means millions of fantasy items to choose from!

The ostensive purpose of creating a wish list is to give loved ones a hint at what kind of presents you'd like to receive for Christmas, birthdays, graduation, parole, etc.

But the fun doesn't stop there!  For a good self-satisfying chuckle, you can add all kinds of things to your list--even items you have little hope of receiving on Christmas morning.  There are a lot of very weird items for sale on Amazon.com.


For example, my friend Shea's Amazon list includes a Land Cruiser/ Tank retailing at just under $20,000.

I hope there is room under the tree this Christmas!







The Amazon Gift Organizer is undoubtedly the most widely adopted service of its kind.  This means that in addition to knowing what all your friends want for Christmas, you can also follow the gift wishes of total strangers.  All you have to do is guess any combination of someone's full name, city, and/or e-mail address to see if they have a list setup.

I had no difficulty locating the wish lists for George W Bush and Jesus H Christ.

Now I know what to get the President to cheer him up during his impeachment!

I know I missed Jesus's birthday, but at least I'll be ready to buy him something in time for next Christmas.




Comments:
I always knew Jesus was a Springsteen fan.

I think Shrub will need a good set of earplugs to block out all the criticism that's yet to come.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?