Tuesday, October 18, 2005

 

Champaign, part 2



The purpose of my overnight mid-week excursion to Champaign was the annual Piccadilly Wine Tasting.  Here you see Shea and I comparing tasting experiences toward the end of the evening.  (Shea is trying to figure out how to pay for the 26 bottles of wine him and Kathleen ordered.)

I had a lot of fun sampling dozens of great wines from all over the world, taking copious notes on my experiences with each glass (notes which would make less and less sense as the evening progressed). I will post my reviews later in this space.

Brief summary of experiences:

1) You can still buy a good bottle of German white for under $6
2) Fuck California (except for the 2002 Wild Horse, Paso Robles)
3) Australians like to mix it up
4) Real wine is still produced in Tuscany
5) Spain is still the undiscovered country.
6) I still don't understand Sherry.  Bile, anyone?
7) Really good dessert wine can still make a grown man cry (and compose poetry)
8) Why smoke cigarettes when you can drink tawny port?

After getting really wasted one drop at a time, the bunch of us went out for dinner at Timpone's.  I had a terrific ribeye--my first meat in nearly a week.

Will be back to sober reality tomorrow.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?