Wednesday, July 27, 2005

 

3:30AM and All Is Quiet


427 South LaSalle Street


It's 3:30AM and all is quiet here at the CIS Project.  I provide technical support to teams of verifiers, scanners, balancers, conflict resolvers, and other worker bees.  Unlike their daytime colleagues, the production staff I support are allowed to make a lot of noise--gossiping loudly, playing music, sometimes even getting up and dancing.  But somehow, like a rare alignment of the planets, everyone seems to have gone to lunch at the same time.

It's so quiet now I can hear the rush of air through the ventillation system.  The sudden peace has in a matter of minutes taken me from somewhat disgruntled to mildly disaffected.

KPMG auditor

Everyone around here is nervous now that the long delayed compliance audit is underway.  This has had quite an effect on the atmosphere around here and has led to me getting a lot of grief.  The same guy (his government codename is "Stupidhead") has complained about me two mornings in a row and I think today he might be planning on it again.  Fortunately, I have a new plan for dealing with this situation: no matter what is asked of me I will just smile and say "Right away!"  Don't know why I didn't think of that before!  Live and learn.



I would use this time to sink into a blissful nap, which I am now able to accomplish while sitting up, but regretably my 7-11 Big Gulp-brand diet soda is now inducing a strange desire to be productive.  My big test is coming up 8/6 and I should study.  I'd better get to work before the caffeine wears off.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?