Monday, June 13, 2005

 

Westlake, Ohio (Day 1)

I'm posting from my hotel room at the Residence Inn by Mariott in Westlake, Ohio. Here's a picture:


I'm here this week to learn about OnBase, America's favorite document/workflow management modular software package.  I say they are America's favorite because of how nice they've been to me in exchange for my company spending oodles to send me here. 

Just look at the goody bag they left for me at check-in waiting for me when I got here last night:


My class is being held at the headquarters for Hyland Software here in Westlake, located about a dozen or miles from anywhere vaguely interesting (Cleveland).  The first day of instruction was nice, especially once the caffein kicked in, and I'm already looking forward to day 2.

The office facility for Hyland itself is pretty cool.  Check out the big slide outside the cafeteria:


I enjoyed the free lunch and free dinner at a nice Italian place, where I had way too much extra dry Chianti.

The end of my day was almost ruined when I saw that the hotel hot tub was closed, but then my classmate Eugene gave me a lift to Bally's.  I probably shouldn't have exercised in my state (the state of tipsiness) but after going in and out of the pool, spa, steam room, and sauna I felt like a million bucks.  I'm going to go back again tomorrow morning when I'm fully sober, and I'm hoping all that activity will keep me awake in class throughout the day--especially if the Mountain Dew isn't enough.

Tomorrow night they're taking us to some kind of steak house, and I'll try to resist drinking too much (even if it is on someone else's dime).  I just have to get through a day learning about volumes and file groups and goodness knows what else.

Good night.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?