Wednesday, February 23, 2005

 

First Night Shift

At 1:00AM this morning I left to work third shift for the first time. I wont be working third shift permanently for a few more days, and normally the third shift starts at midnight. But I had to come in tonight at this strange hour to help cover for regular third shift person who called in sick.

Making tonight even more of a challenge is the fact that I've already worked a day shift today, so I didn't have much time to snooze before going in to work.

Here's a picture of the #79 CTA bus at a little after 1:00AM. I had the entire bus to myself.


Riding the Red Line train in the middle of the night is an experience I haven't had much of since I was much younger and used to go out more. Waiting in the cold on the platform surrounded by all manner of people smoking, pissing, and spitting is an experience that one just can't get in your smaller cities.



The streets outside 427 South LaSalle are dark and quiet at 2:00AM, but the production floor is humming with activity. My boss is here with me tonight, and he is answering all the questions I have and filling in all the gaps of information in the training I've received these past couple of weeks. Which is a shame, really, because I'm too sleepy to absorb much of what he's telling me. Seems to make sense, though. Something about DIP files... zzzzzz.....

No (yawn) I wasn't sleeping! Honest!




Comments:
You and me: same boat (sort of). I get to work tonight and tomorrow from 7pm to 3 am. Oh joy! Luckliy, this is just for someone's vacation coverage, I shouldn't be doing this all the time.
 
Yana, If you and I were in the same city we could have a sunrise mango smoothie.
 
Squee!!! It's a (non-existant) date!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?